Revised Liturgical Guidelines for the COVID-19 Pandemic (5-25-21)
The following are guidelines to help parishes within the Diocese of Green Bay to worship prayerfully and safely during the Sunday Mass and during other liturgies during this phase of COVID-19.
1. There remain no restrictions as to the percentages of people present for any given liturgy. Hand sanitizer and masks should remain near the entrances of the church. All those who are entering or exiting should be encouraged to perform proper hand hygiene.
2. Holy water fonts may be used.
3. Greeting the faithful before and after Mass is encouraged.
4. Masks remain highly encouraged for anyone who feels more comfortable/safer wearing one while attending Mass, or anyone who has not yet received a vaccine. We ask the priest and deacon before and after Mass to continue to wear masks, and masks should be worn by all who distribute Holy Communion.
5. A section of the Church reserved for those who wish to wear a mask and maintain social distancing
6. Hymnals, worship aids, and common use print materials may be used.
7. Those participating in the various ministries of the Mass (readers, ushers, greeters…) may be required to wear masks at the pastor/pastoral leader’s discretion.
Specific Provisions for the Parts of the Mass
1. Choirs are permitted but precautions should be taken to prevent potential spread such as proper distancing of 10 ft between members of the choir and the faithful.
2. The sign of peace may occur.
The Distribution of Holy Communion
1. The Precious Blood will not be distributed to the faithful.
2. Those distributing Holy Communion should wear a mask and must use hand sanitizer before and after distribution.
3. Those who wish to receive communion on the tongue should present themselves at the end of the line(s).