(Click in the line above for our latest bulletins.)


January 29/30: From the Pastor's Desk...

My Dear Parishioners,

I am sure that all of you are feeling a great sense of pride in our PACKERS going to the “Super Bowl” – this is a great time to be from Green Bay, Wisconsin. This coming week will be especially exciting as we move closer and closer to the big day. Take time to relax and enjoy all the anticipation, joy, and excitement. Like all of you, I will be glued to the TV on Super Bowl Sunday. I have invited a number of my Norbertine confreres to come and enjoy watching the game with me. Whatever the outcome, Mrs. Jensen and I have decided to declare Monday, February 7th, a “holiday” for our school children and also the parish office – “A Pastor’s and Principal’s Free Day” - so both will be closed.

This Sunday we once again begin our celebration of CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK. This is a perfect opportunity for us as a parish and we as a faith community, to take time to appreciate and savor the great gift we have in our Catholic school of Holy Cross and all of our Catholic schools throughout the diocese and the country. I know from my own experience how my Catholic faith was nourished and developed through the efforts of the Sisters of Mercy and the Norbertine Fathers of St. Norbert Abbey, who were my high school teachers. I am what I am today because of those men and women who were not only excellent teachers but were also great examples of the Gospel message given flesh and blood and lived out on a daily basis. We here at Holy Cross are also privileged because our school has served our community for more than a hundred years. We are also very lucky to have a wonderful and very professional administrator, Mrs. Robin Jensen, at the leadership position of our school. I am sure that you have appreciated her words this weekend. On July 1st of this year, our school and its staff and teachers will transition to the GRACE system of the Diocese of Green Bay. I ask you to be supportive of this transition and to realize that Holy Cross School will maintain its identity and continue its spirit of excellence into the future.

On behalf of the entire parish community, I wish to express our deepest sympathy to Joan Nowak, her daughters and their families as they mourn the passing of her husband and their father, Deacon Dick Nowak. Deacon Dick and I arrived at Holy Cross around the same time, and I was privileged to work with him and know him. He was a gentle, kind, and knowledgeable man who served the Church as a permanent Deacon for many, many years. He was unselfish with his gifts and talents and always had time for you. For the past few years he bore patiently with poor health, never complaining, and when the time was right, the Lord came to call him home to that special place prepared for him from all eternity. May he rest in peace! At a Sunday in the future, a date convenient for his family to come here from Illinois, we will have a Memorial Mass for Deacon Dick. It will be at a Sunday 10 am Mass so that parishioners may have an opportunity to meet with Joan and her family before Mass begins. If you wish, you may send cards and notes to Joan at the following address: Mrs. Joan Nowak, 3430 Concerto Lane, Green Bay, WI 54311.

We also extend our deepest sympathies to Jeff and Colleen Kennedy on the tragic death of their son, John. May the peace of Christ comfort them during this difficult time. Let us as a parish community hold them in prayer.

Oremus pro invicem,
Fr. Tom

Related link: Church Bulletin 1.30.11

No comments: