(Click in the line above for our latest bulletins.)


August 28/29: From the pastor's desk...

My Dear Parishioners,

This Saturday, August 28th, is the Feast of Saint Augustine. We Norbertines follow a “rule of life” which was written by this great Saint and thus, along with St. Norbert, is considered one of the FATHERS of our Community and Order. As a result it has always been our tradition to receive new members into the community and to have our member profess their vows on this Feast Day. I took my Solemn Vows as a Norbertine on August 28th, 1960 – and so this weekend I celebrate my 50th Anniversary as a Solemn Professed Norbertine. I will be quietly celebrating this milestone in my life with my friends from California and some close friends. Kindly join with me in a Prayer of Thanksgiving to Almighty God for granting me the grace of a vocation to the religious life. On August 29th, 2013, I will celebrate 50 years of priesthood.

After returning from my vacation in Chicago, I was driving down Bay Settlement Road and as I passed our Pioneer Cemetery I immediately caught sight of the new splitrail fence that encircles this sacred area. I spoke with Matt Jadin, our Eagle Scout candidate, who used this project as part of his Eagle Scout program, and he told me that the fence was completed after a lot of hard work and many helpers, both fellow scouts, parents, and members of the parish. I cannot tell you how very proud and pleased I am to see this project become a reality. It not only protects and defines this sacred place, but it is also a very beautiful addition to the site. As the surrounding acreage is developed and houses are built, the fence will define and acknowledge that this is a very special place for our community because in this space our forefathers and foremothers, civil war dead, etc. have found their final resting place. At a date and time to be decided, we will gather at the cemetery after a Sunday 10 am Mass and bless the fence, re-dedicate the cemetery, and acknowledge those who built the fence, those who generously contributed the materials, and those who gave time, energy, and talent in its construction.

Please note that next weekend we will be having our “Missionary Cooperation Appeal” as mandated by the Catholic Bishops. This is an annual collection in which religious communities and organizations may come to a parish and appeal for the support of their missionary programs. Every parish is assigned a missionary, a collection is taken up, and the proceeds are forwarded to the Diocese. After all the collections have been received, the total amount collected from the entire Diocese is then divided equally among the visiting groups. This year the visiting missionary is Father Joseph Lionel, who is from India. Envelopes for this collection are in this week’s bulletin; kindly be generous.

Oremus pro invicem,
Fr Tom

Related link:
Church Bulletin 8.29.10

No comments: