(Click in the line above for our latest bulletins.)


November 21/22 From the Pastor's Desk...

My Dear Parishioners,

Each year as I approach the Feast of Thanksgiving, I take some private time to actually sit down and write on a sheet of paper all the things, people, and situations for which I am thankful. This process usually has me ending up with quite a long list of people, events, circumstances, and gifts, many of which I find myself taking for granted. The result of this actually putting things down on paper has the effect of filling me with an overwhelming sense of gratitude and thanksgiving to Almighty God for the many Blessings which I possess and enjoy. And isn’t that the very purpose of this Feast, which is the beginning of our annual “Holiday/Christmas Season?”

Last Wednesday evening our Faith Formation families gathered in the church at 6:30 pm to celebrate a Mass of Thanksgiving. All the families brought food, paper goods, and other necessary items to support the poor and needy who appeal to the House of Hope. What a wonderful way to begin our Thanksgiving holiday by sharing with those who are not as fortunate as us, and it is also a good way to teach our young children that a very important part of life and being a follower of Christ is to give of ourselves, our time, and our talents to those in need. A special thank you to all who participated in this Faith Formation Mass of Thanksgiving.

This weekend, Saturday, our children who are candidates for the Sacrament of First Reconciliation (Wednesday, December 2nd at 7 pm) and also First Holy Communion came to school for a day of retreat in preparation for First Reconciliation. They and their parents and guardians attended the 4 pm weekend Mass. Our preparation program for these two Sacraments prepare our children very well, and I want to publically thank Marti Burkard, our Faith Formation Coordinator, for all the work and time she expends in working with our children.

This coming Thursday is Thanksgiving Day, and a wonderful way to begin this holiday season is to come and celebrate the Eucharist with other members of our parish family at our annual Thanksgiving Day Mass at 9 am. Kindly note that the Parish Office will be open on Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 23rd & 24th, but will be closed from Wednesday, November 25th until Monday, November 30th. I will be having house guests in the rectory for the Thanksgiving holiday. My very close friends, Dr. and Mrs. George Cunningham, will be flying into Green Bay from Wilmington, Delaware. They will spend Thanksgiving week with me, and we have a number of things planned. I taught with Patricia Cunningham for more than 20 years when I was at Archmere Academy, and her husband, Dr. George, and I learned to ski together when we were both very young men and spent many, many years conquering the ski slopes, so we have had a long friendship. Kindly offer them a warm Holy Cross welcome if you meet them.

Do enjoy the Thanksgiving Holiday!

Oremus Pro Invicem,
Father Tom

Related link:
11.22.09 Church Bulletin

No comments: