(Click in the line above for our latest bulletins.)


Meet the Teacher: Ms. Maria Fonferek, Band

Educational background:
I attended St. Philip of the Apostle grade school and thereafter Notre Dame Academy where I began lessons on trumpet to play in the pep band, as well as the marching band. I recently graduated from St. Norbert College, where I received a Bachelor's in Music degree, my major being music education.

Teaching experience:
I had the opportunity to student teach general music at Electa Quinney Elementary in Kaukauna, as well as band at Red Smith Middle School and Shawano High School. For the past three years I have volunteered as the flute choir director at Notre Dame Academy and also have experience as the woodwind choir director. I have been teaching private instrument lessons over my college career as well as performing on flute in the St. Norbert College Wind Ensemble and Community Band.

What attracted you to teaching?
I decided I wanted to teach music my sophomore year of high school because of my amazing high school band director. He was a great motivator and always encouraged me to reach beyond my goals and shoot for the stars. He influenced me in such a positive way, I realized that I wanted to have the same effect on students as well. I want to be able to build a program that positively influences students and assists them in developing strong relationships with their peers.

What attracted you to Holy Cross?
The fact that it was a private school, very enthusiastic to start a band program with a great support system.

What do you like to do in your free time?
I love being outside and enjoying the outdoors, especially by going on walks or runs. Another big hobby of mine is reading in my free time and playing flute or piano.

Related link:
The Holy Cross Catholic School website

No comments: