Calling All Families!
We Need You to "Adopt-a-Priest" who serves the Diocese of Green Bay and pray for him throughout the Year of the Priest, June 19, 2009-June 19, 2010.
Why Are We Having a Year of the Priest?
Pope Benedict XVI declared the Year of the Priest to:
* "encourage spiritual perfection in priests"
* honor the life of St. John Vianney, who died on Aug. 4, 1859. Pope Benedict will name St. John Vianney the patron of all priests (he is the patron of parish priests) during this 150th jubilee year of his death.
Pope Benedict will open the Year of the Priest on June 19, 2009 -- the Feast of the Sacred Heart and the day for sanctification of priests -- during a vespers service at the Vatican. Pope Benedict will close the year on June 19, 2010, at a World Meeting of Priests celebration in St. Peter's Square.
Why Should a Family Adopt a Priest?
*Priests need our prayers
*It is a good opportunity to teach your children to pray … especially for others
* It is a chance to pray together as a family
* Your family can learn about the life of a priest
* We want all our priests to know that others are praying for them
How Do We Take Part?
Contact: Helen A. Scieszka, Ph.D.
Director of Family & Married Life
Diocese of Green Bay
P.O. Box 23825
Green Bay, WI 54305-3825
Phone: (920) 272-8310 or toll free: 1-877-500-3580, ext. 8310
What Happens Then?
You will be given:
*the name of a randomly selected priest for your family to pray for
* information about both him and the life of St. John Vianney
* a special prayer card
(We also welcome your prayers for other priests)
Learn More About Adopt-a-Priest
Adopt-a-Priest Flyer PDF
Partially funded by the Bishop’s Appeal